Monday, March 9, 2009

Welcome to Nawlens


I made the best jambalaya ever!  It was featured in clean eating magazine.  It wasn't really a gumbo as much as it was a tasty, well seasoned, SPICY, rice dish.  I was out of chicken so I just used more shrimp. I really liked it so here is the recipe:

Be for warned.  This is spicy so adjust accordingly to your spice level.

Serves 4

1c long grain rice

2 tsp olive oil

1 green pepper, 1 red pepper chopped

1/2c white onion diced

2 gloves garlic minced

1tbsp salt free cajun or creole seasoning

1/2tsp crushed red pepper flakes

1c reduced sodium chicken broth (or water)

2 cooked chicken breast halves

1/2lb med shrimp, peeled and deveined

salt and pepper to taste

  1. Cook rice according to package
  2. Meanwhile, heat oil over med high head.  Sautee peppers, garlic and onions until soft (a few min)
  3. Stir in seasonings to coat veggies.
  4. Add chicken and broth.  Bring the a simmer.
  5. Toss in shrimp, cook until no longer opaque.
  6. Add rice and heat through.
I will definitely be making this again ( I am having it for lunch or dinner tomorrow :).  You should too!  


I went for a run after work and boy did it feel great.  It has been so long since I really ran and felt like I got a long, sweaty workout.  I did 4.25 miles in 43minutes.  The weather was really nice and I felt really motivated.  YAY!

Tonight's a low key night.  Going to watch the City to see what shenanigans Olivia pulls tonight.  

Post- dinner snack:
Apple

As I said before, I have been feeling bloated lately and just not slim and trim.  So...I am trying to cut back on sweets.

I will let you all know how it goes :)

1 comment: